With almonds in Australia, an increasing number of people are realising the potential benefits and ditching the processed foods. If you’ve heard about the “superfood” recently, chances are it’s for good reason. The small, wrinkly nuts have a variety of healthy benefits. In fact, they’re so delicious and packed with antioxidants that many people are now looking to them as a healthier alternative to rice and other grains.
Why Do Almonds Have Such A Big Following?
Almonds are also known as the “king of nuts” due to their wide variety of uses. The almond is a small nut that can be used in many different ways. It can be eaten alone as a snack, used in baking and even in smoothies. You can also add it to coffee and other beverages. However, the most popular use for almonds is in cooking.
How to Make Almonds More Delicious and Nutritious
Some of the easiest ways to make almonds more delicious and nutritious are:
Make your own almond milk
Although it’s easy to make almond milk at home, you can also purchase it in a store. The difference is that store-bought milk is often filled with sugar and fat. You can always make your own milk at home and save yourself a lot of money.
Although almond flour is made from blanched almonds, it’s naturally low in carbohydrates and calories. It can also be used as a baking ingredient and even as a component in savoury dishes like almond “tortilla” wraps. You can find almond flour at most grocery stores and some health food stores
Although it looks like peanut butter and can be eaten on its own, almond butter is not a peanut butter substitute. It’s made from blanched almonds and has a milder taste and texture than peanut butter. It can be used in place of peanut butter in many recipes. You can find almond butter at many grocery stores and some health food stores.
- Pick your almonds: Look for almonds with a nice, even skin colour and no holes, rips or bruises.
- Wash: You want to remove the skin from the almonds so they’re really clean, but don’t over wash. Just scrub the almonds well to get them clean.
- Dry: Don’t let the almonds air dry because this will result in a dry, crumbly almond. Instead, lightly coat the almonds in non-drying oil such as canola or peanut oil and place them in a sealed bag or container and drop them into the oven on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Roast: Take the almonds out of the bag or container and roast them for another 10 minutes until they’re completely dry.
- Shred: Using the same method as when you made almond milk, shred the almonds and add them to your final smoothie or coffee/tea.
Over the years, people have become more and more interested in the benefits of almonds. This article outlines information on how to make almonds more delicious and nutritious. Apply them to reap the most benefits from the almonds!