Top Tips To Reduce The Risk Of Electrical Hazards In The Bathroom!

Bathroom Store

Bathroom electrocutions are far too common to be ignored. The bathroom may be a dangerous area since it is one of the few places in the house where live electrical outlets and appliances are certain to come into contact with water. This post from Bathroom Store St Ives will go through the top tips for electrical safety in the bathroom. This advice is applicable to all parts of your house. Remember to use common sense when it comes to electricity and to always employ a professional Bathroom Store in St Ives electrician for installations and repairs. Faulty wiring, an exposed overhead light, or simply a misplaced item in the bathroom might all result in electrocution injury or death.

Even if the electrical installations in your bathroom are completely compliant with Australian Electrical Standards, it is still your responsibility as the house occupant to protect your personal safety and the safety of your loved ones from mishaps. These recommendations will assist you in making your bathroom significantly safer, maybe saving you from the lurking threat of electrocution.

Top Bathroom Electrical Safety Recommendations 

Do not bring plugged-in electrical items into the bathroom.

Even when battery-powered and/or rechargeable appliances become more common, some individuals continue to rely on electric equipment on a regular basis. The issue arises when this equipment is left plugged in in the bathroom. The best approach to avoid electrocution from electrical appliances is to keep them away from the bathroom says an electrician from Bathroom Store St Ives. 

Make sure the discharge distance is at least 3 metres.

Even if adding plugs and power outlets in the bathroom increases the possibility of an electrical catastrophe, we need them to power numerous gadgets. Ensure that they are all positioned a safe distance away from the shower, bath, or taps (at least 3 metres) to keep them safe from water splashes. They should also be at least 300mm above the ground, adds the electrician from Bathroom Store St Ives.

Extension cables, light bulbs, and wiring

It should go without saying that an extension cord should never be brought into the restroom. In addition, any exposed or frayed wires should be buried or repaired as quickly as possible by a professional Bathroom Store St Ives electrician. In terms of bathroom lighting, naked light bulbs and uncovered light fixtures can provide an electrical risk to anybody using the restroom, especially if they are suspended low from the ceiling.

Lighting Controls

Ceiling-mounted pull-cord switches from Bathroom Store St Ives are far safer than traditional wall-mounted light switches in bathrooms. This is due to the risk of electrocution if you turn on a wall-mounted switch with moist or wet hands or while standing in water.

Use dry hands while handling electrical items.

When it comes to electrical equipment, perhaps the oldest rule in the book is to keep your hands absolutely dry. Make this a habit while using hairdryers, curling irons, and electric razors in the bathroom. You should ideally ensure that your entire body is generally dry, as even a stray drop of water might cause an appliance to shock you.

Heaters for showerheads

If you use an electric or gas-powered showerhead heater, ensure sure it is permanently connected and installed by a certified Bathroom Store St Ives electrician. It should not have any exposed wires and should be connected directly to the circuit. In this situation, too, a pull-cord switch should be preferred over a regular wall switch for your heater.